When considering the important functions of our legs, most of us will agree that building the muscles of our lower limbs will certainly carry us far in life- whether you are training for a marathon, a bodybuilding competition or you just want to be able to carry yourself through a flight of stairs with ease. All these activities become much easier with stronger leg muscles. This is what makes leg workouts so important, and why you should consider incorporating them in your fitness routine.
“But, I don’t have enough time to drive to the gym”, “I don’t have any weights to build my leg muscles at home”, “leg workouts are too complicated!”, “I don’t really feel motivated to exercise today”…just hold those thoughts for a moment, and you will soon realise that they are just distractions.
Top Home Leg Workouts
ALWAYS remember to warm up before doing any exercise, this will help reduce your chances for injuries while you are working out. You just need a few light cardiovascular exercises and stretches to improve blood circulation and get your body ready for the workout.
1. Bodyweight squats
Now that your body is ready, you can start your leg workout with bodyweight squats. Squats are a simple and efficient leg workout that needs to be part of your fitness routine.
– Stand straight with your feet apart (shoulder-width) and your body weight on your heels.
– Bend your knees, and drop your butt until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
– Stand back straight and repeat the movement. Make sure you keep your core tight and squeeze your butt while doing this exercise.
2. Walking lunges
Walking lunges is a great workout for your quadriceps muscles.
– Stand straight with your fit apart.
– Take a long step forward dropping your rear knee to the floor and bending your front knee until your thigh is parallel to the floor.
– Repeat the same movement with the other knee.
3. Jump squats
The jump squats take the regular bodyweight squats up a notch.
– Stand straight with your feet apart.
– Bend into the squat position (with your thighs parallel to the floor).
– Jump into the air as high as you can.
– Land on your feet going back into the squat position.
4. Glute bridge
The glute bridge is a great workout because it works on your leg muscles (hamstrings), glutes and core.
– Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
– Lift your hips up until it aligns with your core and knees (until your core, hips and knees form a straight line), then drop back to the floor.
– Tighten your glutes while doing this exercise. Repeat the movement.
5. EMS Device
Looking for an innovative method to do your leg workouts? Then, use a leg belt. Leg belts use electromagnetic stimulation to create involuntary muscle contractions that help build your muscles. There are many EMS devices out there, but we have been testing the SIXPAD leg belt mainly due to the unique 20Hz frequency it utilises (this frequency causes minimal muscle fatigue and is more efficient) and it is already showing promising results. This is a great way to keep building your leg muscles especially on days you lack the motivation to do a physical leg workout.
These are some great leg workouts you can start doing right now. Don’t forget to include a balanced diet and Power Up your fitness with supplements for optimum results. Living up to your fitness goals is our raison d’être, get in touch with us for more information.